St. Louis Child Product Liability Lawyer
Manufacturers have a legal obligation to provide consumers with safe products and to warn consumers when a product may be dangerous. It is particularly important that the manufacturers of products for children provide the safest products possible. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has jurisdiction over 15,000 categories of products, including appliances, electronics, and children’s items. When a product is found to be dangerous or defective, the manufacturer may issue a voluntary recall or the CPSC may force the company to pull those products from the market.
Examples of Children’s Products That Have Been Recalled
There is a wide range of items that may cause serious injuries in children. Children’s products that have been recalled over the past few years include cribs, toys, baby formula, clothing, and medicines. Here are a few examples of recent recalls relating to children’s products:
- Flammable clothing: There are federal regulations on the flammability of pajamas. For example, Sage Creek Organics was forced to recall hundreds of units because they failed to meet federal standards when it came to flame-resistant clothing.
- Dangerous lamps: Target recalled 13,000 Task Lamps that were known to overheat and cause laceration injuries.
- Playsets that pose falling hazards: Adventure Playsets Wooden Swing Sets had to recall 240,000 products because the wood was subject to rot, which could result in serious falling hazards for children.
- Children’s medications: Drug manufacturers may be held liable for the damages their medications cause. Altaire Pharmaceuticals had to recall 898,000 units of Children’s Pain & Fever Concentrated Drops for having the drug acetaminophen, but failing to package it with a child-resistant dropper cap.
- Lead-contaminated products: Young children are particularly vulnerable to exposure of lead products. Gamma Sports recently had to recall 2,000 Junior Tennis Racquets because of the high level of lead in the tape on the racket’s handle. Millions of the popular Thomas the Tank Engine toy trains and numerous brand-name toys manufactured in China were also recalled a few years ago because the lead content in the paint was extremely high.
- Choking hazards: Many children’s products have the potential to break off and pose a choking hazard to children, especially young ones. Edushape Ltd. had to recall 18,000 Mini Stars building sets because the sizes of the parts of the product were choking hazards. Woodstock Percussion had to recall 9,400 Gripper Shaker musical instruments because they have a detachable handle that posed a choking hazard as well.
- Cribs and furniture: In a five year period, the CPSC has recalled millions of drop-side cribs for strangulation and entrapment hazards. Toddler beds have also been recalled for similar hazards. High chairs and play pens have also been the subject of several recent recalls.
Protecting Missouri Consumers’ Rights
When a defective product injures a child, the manufacturer of that product may be held liable for their negligence. A Missouri injury claim can hold a defective product manufacturer liable for injuries and accident-related losses, including medical bills, past and future suffering, and even funeral costs, should a dangerous product causes a fatal injury. However, it is always an uphill battle to fight major corporations or hold them accountable, which is why you may find it beneficial to consult with a product liability lawyer to learn more about what legal options are available to you given your specific circumstances.
Our reputed attorneys have a long history of protecting the rights of victims who have been injured due to another person or company’s negligence. If your child has been injured by a dangerous or defective product, please contact a Missouri injury lawyer at Page Law at (314) 322-8515 to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.
Have you or a loved one been involved in an
accident? Contact Page Law 24/7
Our firm has been featured on these stations:visit our video library
We Hold the Highest Possible Ratings and Memberships from the Professional Organizations that Matter Most:Awards & Memberships