skip to content
Call 24/7 • We can come to you Serving Missouri & Illinois

Family Law & Divorce

(314) 322-8515
Click to Call 314-322-8515

Family Law Case Review

Tell us more about your case...

Home family law divorce modification

St Louis Divorce Modification Lawyer

How to Know if a Divorce Modification is Right for You

An Awareness Guide for Divorced Individuals

The decision to modify your divorce judgment is one requiring careful consideration. Adding to the decisiveness are numerous misconceptions and confusion over the legal process.

And that’s where this guide will help you. As you can imagine, starting the process unprepared or uneducated about your options is a mistake.

After you read the following information, you’ll be able to make informed, intelligent decisions about modifying your Missouri divorce decree. My experience as a lawyer practicing exclusively in family law and domestic relations gives me unique insight into your situation. So I encourage you to also use me a source to calm your concerns.

I’m happy to answer your questions and evaluate your situation – without any obligation. Call me today at (314) 322-8515.

Of course, I know many people have reservations about working with lawyers. That’s why my practice is dedicated to educating prospects and clients.

After all, when you know what goes on behind the modification process and understand why certain events happen, you can better project problems and create a more predictable outcome.

Tonya D. Page

If you believe your existing divorce judgment is unfair due to changed circumstances, you can seek a modification.

Maybe you were fired, retired, or even remarried since the date of your judgment. Maybe you’ve experienced health problems or suffered through a major life event, resulting in an income reduction. Or, if you’re receiving payments, maybe your child now requires greater expenses, whether due to a disability or just getting older.

You may have even agreed to an arrangement you didn’t understand or that you felt forced into accepting and now realize you made a mistake.

Whatever your reason, Missouri law allows you to petition a court to modify your arrangement concerning maintenance (alimony), child support, and/or child custody. As a result, you can possibly lower what you pay, increase what you receive or get your payments terminated.

To change support payments, you must prove to the court there are “changed circumstances so substantial and continuing as to make the terms unreasonable.” Timing is also a critical factor.

It is typical for a post-judgment payment change to occur do to the following:

  • A significant change in either person’s income (e.g., lost or changed job);
  • Changes in who has primary child custody, or major changes in the amount of time your children spend with each parent;
  • Changes in your child’s financial needs, due to such circumstances as an illness or private school;
  • A new danger in one parent’s home, one parent’s substantial interference with the other’s visitation rights, or changes that makes it impossible for one to provide child care (such as a prison sentence); or
  • Remarriage of a custodial parent.

Also, keep in mind, petitioning the court to change maintenance payments if your supported spouse remarries or dies is not necessary – your payments end on their own under these circumstances. Child support payments and custody arrangements end automatically on a child’s emancipation (usually the 18th birthday, unless the child goes to college and meets certain criteria) or death.

In cases where one parent with joint custody decides to move far away, specific rules are applied. The relocating parent must give the other parent written notice, 60 days in advance, explaining where, when, and the reason for the move. A new custody arrangement must be proposed, too. If these steps are not taken, Missouri courts can impose penalties.

Of course, the non-relocating parent (or other legal guardian) may object, which then requires court involvement to resolve the situation. The relocating parent may have to pay transportation costs that are caused by long-distance visitation. If a parent moves without the other parent’s or the court’s permission, this could be grounds for a modification granting custody to the other parent.

If you and your former spouse agree to changes, a smooth modification is possible, assuming the judge shares your perspectives. However, if you and your ex-spouse don’t see eye to eye, your modification can get complicated.

In either case, you need the help of a divorce attorney in St. Louis to draft and file your revised agreement with the court or to file a motion to modify. Without a new court order reflecting any changes, your modified agreement isn’t legally enforceable.

Schedule your divorce modification assessment today by calling (314) 322-8515.

Are you in need of a Family Law attorney?
Contact Page Law 24/7

(314) 322-8515(314) 322-8515

Top 10 Mistakes That Could Hurt Your Family Law Case

Download our helpful Divorce Guide including bonus checklist, written by attorney Tonya D. Page.

Our firm has been featured on these stations:

visit our video library

We Hold the Highest Possible Ratings and Memberships from the Professional Organizations that Matter Most:

Awards & Memberships

Page Law, LLC

9930 Watson Rd. Suite 100
St. Louis, Missouri 63126
Phone: (314) 322-8515

Map | Contact Form

select arrow St. Peters, MO Office
select arrow St. Louis, MO Office
select arrow Fairview Heights, IL Office

Commitment to our Community

We are proud sponsors of:

Follow Us Online

St. Louis Lawyer Disclaimer: The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. The legal information offered herein by Page Law, LLC, is not formal legal advice, nor is it the formation of an attorney client relationship. In order for our firm to be considered your attorney there must be a signed agreement between the client and the firm. Any results set forth herein are based solely upon the circumstances of that particular case and offer no promise or guarantee upon the outcome of any other case. Please contact a lawyer for a consultation. This site is not intended to solicit clients outside the State of Missouri or Illinois. Page Law, LLC may co-counsel or associate with other law firms around the country at its discretion from initial intake through litigation when it deems appropriate.

© 2022 Page Law, LLC - All rights reserved.

Home | Client Login | Sitemap