While holidays can be a break from work and a time to celebrate, they are also one of the most dangerous times to be on the roads. This is true of almost any holiday that traditionally involves gatherings of family and friends. These gatherings often involve alcohol, and many people attempt to drive their cars home after drinking too much.
- The upcoming Memorial Day weekend is no different. The risks may be high during this holiday for several reasons, including:
- The holiday is celebrated over a three-day weekend, which means many people will be traveling or celebrating all weekend long.
- This weekend marks the end of the school year for many students, so teens will be out celebrating the beginning of summer.
- Unlike other holidays that may focus on children, involve gift-giving, or have religious aspects, the classic Memorial Day celebration involves barbecue and beer – so drinking is a focus of these celebrations.
- Camping, floating, boating, and similar activities are popular over Memorial Day weekend, many of which involve drinking.
Aside from the above reasons, many people drive while intoxicated over Memorial Day weekend out of sheer recklessness and lack of concern for others on the road. Whether their judgment is too impaired to make proper decisions or they overestimate their abilities to drive drunk, impaired drivers put everyone else on the roads at risk.
- Costly medical bills
- Lost income from missing work
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
- Losing enjoyment of your life
- Permanent disabilities and impairments
Contact a Fairview Heights Car Accident Attorney as Soon as Possible
At the office of Page Law, we work to hold drunk drivers liable for all the injuries and losses they cause in and around Fairview Heights. We offer free consultations and will protect your legal rights as a crash victim, so please call our car accident lawyer at 618-351-0890 for more information today.