Missouri Dog Bite Attorney
Dog Bite Attack
Have you or someone you love been bitten by a dog? Are you considering legal action to hold the negligent dog owner accountable? The dog bite attorneys at Page Law are experienced in helping dog bite victims evaluate their case and determine if liability exists. Dog attacks are traumatic and it is tough to get just compensation from the insurance company.
Call 1(800) 227-2727 or complete an online contact form to speak with a member of our dog bite team right away. We will work on your behalf to obtain the maximum compensation you are entitled to. The longer you wait, the more time evidence has to disappear.
Types of Injuries Suffered in Dog Bite Attacks
Depending on the size and viciousness of the dog, the resulting injuries of an attack can range from minor to fatal. Some common injuries suffered in dog attacks include:
- Puncture wounds
- Tissue loss
- Fractured bones
- Scars from the attack and subsequent surgeries
- Infections, such as rabies
If you have been attacked, it is important to clean your wounds immediately, seek medical attention and advice regarding rabies. It's important to contact the police and your local animal control to report the dog bite. Animal control may be able to locate the dog and determine its rabies vaccination status.
Who Is Liable after a Dog Attack in Missouri?
To determine who is liable after a dog bite, it is important to evaluate whether the dog was provoked and the exact location where the attack took place. Dog owners are typically strictly liable if their dog attacks someone, regardless of the dog owner's knowledge of the dog's aggressive behavior. However, if the victim contributed in some manner to the attack, this can affect liability.
Time Limits & Dog Bites
The time in which an adult dog bite victim can file a personal injury claim in Missouri is 5 years and in Illinois it's 2 years. However, you should act as soon as possible to ensure the strength of your case. Over time, valuable evidence can disappear and witness' memories may fade. If you fail to properly file your claim within the time limit, your right to compensation may be forfeited. Contact an aggressive dog bite attorney to discuss the statute of limitations as it relates to your particular case.
Considerations for a St Louis Dog Bite Lawyer
Once you've identified a few attorneys you'd like to speak to, contact their offices. Although the attorney you choose will depend on the facts of your case and your personal comfort level with the attorney and the firm, you can also ask yourself a few helpful questions to help pinpoint your search:
- What's the up-front cost? Lawyers who understand the need to find the right representation generally offer free initial consultations, so that you don't have to pay just to find out if the firm is the right "fit" for you.
- What does the firm emphasize? Focus on a law firm with a concentration on personal injury law and specific experience with successful dog bite cases. Although previous "wins" don't guarantee your case will be a "win" as well, they do indicate experience, dedication, and perseverance - all key qualities in a dog bite attorney.
- Do you "click"? Your attorney is likely to work with you for several weeks or months seeking the compensation you need. It's important to find someone with whom you feel comfortable sharing the details of your case and asking questions.
Make the Call
As the victim of a dog bite, you are legally entitled to seek compensation from the at-fault party. The damages you may be able to recover include past medical expenses, future medical expenses, time away from work, therapy costs, scar revision costs, physical pain, and mental anguish.
The aggressive dog bite lawyers at Page Law have a strong track record for successfully representing dog bite victims. We have helped our clients secure much-needed compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and the cost of expensive cosmetic surgeries to repair scars.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Missouri or Illinois dog attack, call 1(800) 227-2727 for a free consultation. We are here to help you through this difficult time.