St. Louis Attorneys Discuss Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
What Are Some Common Causes of Slip and Falls?
There are many potential causes of slip and fall accidents. If the injured victim wants to pursue compensation for his or her injuries, it will become important to determine who was at fault for the fall. Injured victims of slip and fall accidents would be well advised to seek legal guidance from a skilled premises liability attorney in Missouri who can help them better understand their legal rights and options.
Missouri Property Owner Negligence
It only takes a moment of distraction or inattention for a slip and fall accident to occur. In cases where the victim’s own negligence was the sole cause of the fall, the property owner cannot be held liable for the injuries suffered. The following circumstances, however, involve property owner negligence and may therefore result in civil litigation:
- Broken staircases: Many of the most devastating slip and fall accidents involve a fall down the stairs. When steps are cracked or broken, it is the property owner’s responsibility to immediately post warning signs, cones or tape to warn visitors. The property owner is then responsible for repairing the damaged step as soon as possible.
- Cracked floor: Many falls result from the victim kicking or tripping on an uneven surface. Damaged sidewalks, tile floors and walkways need to be repaired as soon as possible and visitors must be warned of the dangerous condition.
- Slippery floors: If you have ever seen a janitor put up a slippery floor sign, you have witnessed a worker actively warning visitors of a dangerous condition. Pedestrians can easily slip on wet or icy surfaces and all visitors should be notified when an area has been recently cleaned.
- Debris: Areas where it is reasonable to expect visitors to walk should be clear of debris. Property owners that are aware of areas where equipment, trash, debris and other items are causing potential tripping hazards would be well advised to have the area cleaned immediately.
- Uneven elevators: All elevators need to be properly maintained so that they fully come to rest when level with the floor. Riders of elevators are rarely prepared to step up or down when exiting an elevator.
- Holes: Holes in walkways, sidewalks and even tile floors have been known to cause serious injuries. Anything large enough for someone to trip over or step in should be immediately repaired.
Rights of Slip and Fall Victims in Missouri
Anyone injured while visiting someone else’s property would be well-advised to report his or her injury to the property owner, to seek medical attention and then to contact an experienced St. Louis slip and fall injury lawyer. A premises liability claim is a civil lawsuit that can be used to hold a negligent property owner accountable for the losses suffered in a slip and fall accident. Financial repercussions such hospital bills and lost wages may be included in a claim. Some claims also result in compensation for non-economic damages such as mental anguish and pain and suffering.
Our skilled St. Louis premises liability attorneys know how to hold property owners accountable for their negligence. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to contact our skilled attorneys for a free consultation and comprehensive case evaluation. Call (314) 322-8515 today.