Safely Navigating S. Hanley Road and I-64
One of the most dangerous intersections in St. Louis County is in Richmond Heights at S. Hanley Road and I-64. Commuters can expect heavy traffic on I-64 from nearby St. Louis University and surrounding towns. Where I-64 intersects with S. Hanley Road, there are eight on and off-ramps, plus a second intersection at S. Hanley Road and Eager Road, just as the I-64 intersection ends. Two through lanes that bridge the gap between the split lanes on S. Hanley Road are controlled by traffic lights. This adds to the confusion, as drivers on S. Hanley Road must focus on who has the right-of-way, while watching for traffic from the many ramps.
What Types of Accidents Can Happen at S. Hanley Road and I-64?
Accidents are more frequent at dangerous intersections such as S. Hanley Road and I-64 in Richmond Heights. Common types of collisions include:
- Multi-car pile-ups: These incidents come about when vehicles collide into each other, starting a chain reaction. (One example is the multi-vehicle crash involving an ambulance that injured three people in July 2021, including a patient onboard the ambulance, as reported by Fox 2 Now.)
- Side-impact collisions: This type of crash is common when a driver runs a red light and T-bones another vehicle.
- Rear-end collisions: Following too closely behind another vehicle can lead to a rear-end crash. This can happen if the vehicle ahead comes to a stop and the driver behind does not have enough time to react.
- Side-swipe accidents: Drivers who fail to do a head check before turning or changing lanes can side-swipe other vehicles, motorcyclists, or bicyclists.
- Head-on collisions: This deadly type of crash can occur when a driver turns in front of oncoming traffic without allowing enough space.
Who Could Be Affected by a Crash at I-64 and S. Hanley Road?
Vehicle drivers of cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, or other vehicles could be at risk of an accident at the intersection of I-64 and S. Hanley Road. Potential crash victims include people traveling to or from nearby towns or St. Louis University. A collision at this intersection could affect residents of Richmond Heights, as well as visitors to bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and parks in the area.
How Can You Safely Navigate the S. Hanley Road and I-64 Intersection?
In hazardous intersections such as I-64 and S. Hanley Road, diligent driving is more important than ever. To increase your chances of navigating through them safely:
- Be aware of your surroundings: Constantly watch the drivers all around you.
- Don’t speed: In heavy traffic, surprises from other drivers are more likely. If you are traveling too fast, you will have less time to react to avoid a crash.
- Maintain a safe distance: Don’t follow too closely while traveling through an intersection. Allow yourself room to get out in case a crash happens in front of you.
- Signal your intentions: Using your turn signal is the best way to let other drivers know what you intend to do. Give them enough time to prepare if you are turning or changing lanes.
- Enter the intersection carefully: Another driver may run a red or yellow light. Even when you have the green light, scan the intersection to make sure it is clear before entering.
How Can a St. Louis Car Accident Attorney Help After a Crash?
If you have been injured in a crash at I-64 and S. Hanley Road or another dangerous intersection, your best chance of recovering fair compensation is to have an experienced St. Louis personal injury attorney handling your case. At Page Law, our mission is to provide you with individual attention and give your case the quality service and focus it deserves. Call us at 1-800 CAR-CRASH (800-227-2727) to schedule a free consultation.
Have you or a loved one been involved in an
accident? Contact Page Law 24/7